Re: Is this bug in aptitude?

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:02:08AM +0300, "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> was heard to say:
Rob Gom wrote:
Hello,
is this bug in aptitude when I try:
$ aptitude install a
[...]
b will be removed
$ aptitude install a b
[...]
b will be removed
[OK]
$ aptitude install b
[b is installed fine, the same with a]

So why does aptitude want to remove package b in the first place?

  [snip]

Aptitude tries to remove automatically installed packages. If you
manually install them, aptitude won't try to do this. It's not a bug.

  It is interesting that "install a b" doesn't flag "b" as manual.

  The command-line parsing logic is hairy and tries to "do the right
thing" in various cases, but this one seems to be falling through
the cracks (due to when aptitude calculates unused removals).  Problem
is, I'd have to be careful adding code to handle this situation: the
command-line is one of the few parts of aptitude that's not very well
specified, and so I'm not sure exactly what would happen if I tried
various hacks to do what you (quite reasonably) expect here.  I don't
see any obvious problems, but it's entirely possible that some other
use case would be affected.

  Daniel

Daniel

I don't know whether you saw my earlier message http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/08/msg02156.html but the OP has testing and unstable in his sources list and is doing

#aptitude install -t unstable a

so wouldn't this remove any testing packages that conflict with a or any of its dependencies?

#aptitude install -t unstable b

will then install the new package from unstable as its supposed to.

This is how I read the OP and wouldn't want you to spend time hacking for a problem that doesn't IMHO exist. Mixing dists will cause these anomalies and they should be expected, no?

HTH

Wackojacko