Re: Can't Detach from a startup script

Martin wrote:
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
case "$1" in
 start)
      echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
      start-stop-daemon -c $USER --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec
$DAEMON -- $OPT \
              > /dev/null

hmm looks to my that either you missed the --background option for
start-stop-daemon or you missed the option for $DAEMON to send it to
background...

I see from the start-stop-daemon man page that I might can throw in a "-b" to force a detachment, but is that the correct way to fix my problem? The man page suggests that this should be a last resort.

So you're suggesting that I DO use the -b (or --background) option, that this is the correct fix for my problem?

I did add that in, and now I can exit out of my ssh session after starting the daemon, but as I say, since the man page says that's a last resort, I wasn't sure I should do that. (And I haven't tried to see if a "restart" or "stop" works properly from my script with that added in.)

Thanks!

--
Kent West                           <")))><