Re: security risk of having a long list of services in inetd

Paul Dufresne <dufresnep@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> From: Paul Dufresne <dufresnep@gmail.com>
>>> Looking to /etc/services, I found that Debian seems to like to have a
>>> very big file with all known services rather than just add the
>>> services needed. I don't even knows if other distributions does just
>>> add the needed services.
>>
>> That file is just a mapping of service names and ports, it has no relation
>> to services that are actually running.
>
> Yes, I know. But as I see it, each mapping is like a *possible* door
> to the Internet.

No, each *port* is like a possible door to the internet. /etc/services
is just a way to give ports names, regards if those ports are used or
not.

> When there is so much, it become too hard to look at each door to see
> if there is a program behind, and if it does what it should.

"netstat -plunt" will show you exactly which programs are listening on
which port.

Thomas Weinbrenner
--
Freiheit statt Angst 2008 -- Groß-Demonstration in Berlin!
Samstag, 11. Oktober 2008 um 14 Uhr am Alexanderplatz