Re: LiveCD's don't work

That's probably
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/153702
(For Dell Inspiron 530, about SATA drive)
Suggested *workaround* is to:
1. While turning on the computer press F2 at the splash screen to enter
Setup (BIOS)
2. Select Integrated Peripherals
3. Go to 'SATA Mode', press Enter
4. Change to RAID, accept the change
5. Press F10 to save & reboot
But be warn that it is almost sure that Vista won't be able to boot
with that option in the BIOS!

I see that you succeeded with Mandriva:
http://forums.debian.net/posting.php?mode=quote&p=172891&sid=fc6dd2e2413b2c4100b6dce5448758cc

I guess a bug should be open for Debian with a reference to Ubuntu bug #153702.