LANG=fr_FR /usr/bin/nedit and accentuated characters

Hi,

I use NEdit all day long to draft ma thesis (LaTeX), I work under lenny-sid/KDE (3.5.9) and I use bash under Konsole.

When I write in french, I use to call NEdit this way:
   LANG=fr_FR /usr/bin/nedit <file> &
since my locale is LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8.

It works good for a while (I mean I have all characters I need to draft in french: à, é, è, ê, ï, etc.) and then it begins to be buggy (in the same X session): accentuated characters typed as a two-keys-sequence are no more accepted in NEdit. For example ^+e should display an "ê" but I got an "e" instead, the same for ¨+i, I got an "i".

When I restart my KDE session, all things become ok for a while an then I fails again...
So what am I doing wrong ?
I also tried with luit:
   LANG=fr_FR luit /usr/bin/nedit <file>
but this does not repair anything (and sometimes introduces strange behaviours in my bash sessions).

At least my question would be:
Is there anything to reset or restart except my KDE session or my whole computer to get things working good ?

Thanks a lot !
Nicolas.

-------
Info:
My NEdit is linked to lesstif2:
$ aptitude show nedit
   Paquet : nedit
   État: installé
   Automatiquement installé: non
   Version : 1:5.5-2
   Priorité : optionnel
   Section : editors
   Responsable : Alexandre Pineau <alexandre.pineau@free.fr>
   Taille décompressée : 1782k
Dépend: lesstif2, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libsm6, libx11-6, libxext6, libxp6, libxt6
   Suggère: csh
   Est en conflit: nedit-dmotif, nedit-smotif
   Remplace: nedit-dmotif, nedit-smotif
   Description : A powerful, customizable, Motif based text editor
NEdit is a multi-purpose text editor for the X Window System, which combines a standard, easy to use, graphical user interface with the thorough functionality and stability required by users who edit text eight hours a day. It provides intensive support for development in a wide variety of languages, text processors, and other tools, but at the same time can be used productively by just about anyone who needs to edit text. Users of Macintosh and MS Windows based text editors will find NEdit a familiar and comfortable
    environment.