Re: [SOLVED] Re: package fails to install; fails to remove; breaks upgrade of other packages

On 2008-08-26 10:47 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> For what it's worth
>
> ll /etc/environment
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-08-19 19:47 /etc/environment
>
> I delete /etc/environment since it is an empty file anyway. After that
> it work. It's now also possible to purge/ install it ok.
>
> I have no idea, how I got that empty /etc/environment, since its
> modificaton date does not match with the installation of anon-proxy.

An empty /etc/environment is perfectly normal, I have that myself.  The
locale settings have moved to /etc/default/locale, so I don't need
anything in /etc/environment.  And PAM will spam the syslog if
/etc/environment does not exist, so I created an empty file.

> *Florian, thanks a lot for your help!*
>
> I'm not sure, if this behaviour is actually a bug.

It is, please file a bug report against the anon-proxy package with
severity "serious".  The grep call in line 50 of the postinst will fail
if /etc/environment is empty.

Regards,
        Sven