Re: ndiswrapper kernel module, precompiled version in testing?

On Sunday 24 August 2008 19:50, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> I am quite new to ndiswrapper. For Etch, I had downloaded latest
> source, installed kernel headers, and then simply ./configure, make,
> make install.

Try not to do that. You may break the package management when you install
software outside of it.

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=lenny&keywords=ndiswrapper

> I was hoping to find something like ndiswrapper-2.6.26-subversion-i386
> module, but no.
>
> So it seems I really need ndiswrapper-source (probably should remove
> ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 because I believe
> ndiswrapper contains source for both user-space utilities and kernel
> module).
>
> But, as I have no wired connection, I need to get packages
> individually using wireless on an other OS.
> And I find it a bit long, because ndiswrapper-source seems to depends
> on (in my opinion) too many packages (bzip2, debhelper,
> module-assistant... debhelper having it's own dependancies: binutils,
> dpkg-dev, file, html2text, man-db, perl, po-debconf).

Hook the system up to a wired connection, then, or use the first CD (I think
it has everything you need for that).

> Now, I am seriously thinking about just downloading ndiswrapper
> sources and give up using Debian packages. But then, I tought I should
> ask help here, maybe I am missing a binary package with ndiswrapper
> kernel module already compiled.

Install build-essential and module-assistant and the ndiswrapper packages and
use m-a to build the ndiswrapper module package.
--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/