Re: compatibility

Kenn Bannerman wrote:

I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate whether they are compatible with certain software programs such as:

AutoCAD
Adobe Photoshop et al
SoundForge

Any info you can supply would greatly help my decision.
Linux is a quite different operating system to Windows, so you can't
assume that a program written for Windows will run in Linux unless it
has been specifically ported to this platform. However there are similar
programs written for Linux which will do much the same job. I suggest
that you try for yourself installing a version of Linux, and look at
some of these programs to see if they meet your needs. You can install
linux side by side with windows on your hard disk if you want. Many (but
not all) Windows programs can also run under linux using a windows
compatibility layer called 'Wine', so you could look at that too.

I don't know of any linux programs similar to AutoCAD (though others
here might do), but Photoshop is roughly equivalent to a linux program
called the GIMP. For Soundforge, there are a variety of Linux based
tools which cover a similar field - look at Rezound, Audacity, and
Ardour for a start.

andy