Icons on Gnome desktop

Hello

Minor issue really, but would be nice if I could sort it out, so help would be welcomed:

My Lenny system faithfully automounts CDs and USB data sticks,etc., but when I am in Gnome, these automounted devices are not iconised on the desktop itself. If I go into "computer" (or whatever it is called), I can double click the device icon and then it will appear on the desktop.

Whenever I switch over to Xfce4 or even KDE for a change, the icon appears on the desktop automagically.

Anyone have any suggested fixes to this minor inconvenience?

Cheers

Andy