Re: A viable mutt

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 03:55:35AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Of course it is, the fact that mutt is using the network to
> download-then-upload the messages is the entire problem!  Which is
> going to be
> faster:
>
> A: Downloading 2000 messages totaling 10Mb over a 300kps connection
> then upload them to the Trash folder on a 35kps upload.
>
> B: Tell the server, "copy these 2000 messages to the Trash folder
> using the local system BUS oh, and mark them as deleted, thanks."

Well, I have got about 17000 messages on my server and mutt works very
fast downloading nothing of them.

I use this in my .muttrc to achieve that:

set spoolfile=imaps://192.168.0.1/INBOX
set folder=imaps://192.168.0.1
set imap_user=js
set imap_login=js
set imap_pass=<mypassword>

I am not sure whether the imap_user and imap_login both have to be
there.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a
      shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
      trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
      Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught
      up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord
      in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
                          I Thessalonians 4:16,17