unsubcribe

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:52 AM, <debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org> wrote:
debian-user-digest Digest                               Volume 2008 : Issue 1575

Today's Topics:
 Re: Problems with pppoe - sendPacket  [ Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> ]
 Re: A viable mutt                     [ Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> ]
 Which C++ STL manual package in Debi  [ hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> ]
 Re: interface for tar                 [ "Mag Gam" <magawake@gmail.com> ]
 Re: KDE Automount stopped working     [ Kumar Ravichandran <kumar.ravichand ]
 Re: A viable mutt                     [ Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org ]
 Re: aptitude segfault on UML          [ Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org ]
 Re: Strange problem with copy paste.  [ "Jesse Welling" <jesse.welling@gmai ]
 Which USB stick for Debian root file  [ rainmailbox2001-ola@yahoo.ca ]
 Re: apt-get (debconf) throws strange  [ rainmailbox2001-ola@yahoo.ca ]
 Re: Happy birthday, Debian!           [ "s. keeling" <keeling@nucleus.com> ]
 Re: Happy birthday, Debian!           [ Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com ]
 Re: Happy birthday, Debian!           [ Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com ]
 Re: interface for tar                 [ Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> ]
 Re: Which C++ STL manual package in   [ Chris Burkhardt <chris@mretc.net> ]
 Re: where is ath9k?                   [ Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> ]

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:15:47PM +0200, jules.trombone@k1ka.be wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the 1rst time, I've installed a Debian box that must connect directly to the
> net via DSL. I've an Alcatel Speedtouch modem connected to eth0, my local
> private network is on eth1 (this works without problems).
>
> I've used pppoeconf and the connection has worked in a few seconds right out of
> the box. But after a reboot, the connection didn't work. I've re-done the
> configuration, all seemed right, but once again that was cancelled after a
> reboot.
>
> Finally, I've seen that eth0 becomes not "up" with the connection-process. If I
> manually do
>
> #ifconfig eth0 up
>
> without specifying an address, the connection works well (in fact, when you use
> pppoeconf, the interface was loaded during the configuration).
>
> Here's my /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
>    address 192.168.0.1
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    network 192.168.0.0
>    broadcast 192.168.0.255
>    # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
>    dns-nameservers 195.238.2.21 195.238.2.22
>    dns-search champignac
>
> iface skynet inet ppp
> pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
> provider skynet

do these need to prefixed with spaces/tabs ?

> auto eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> -------
>
> I've just replaced 'dsl-provider' by the name of my ISP (skynet), but the
> problem was the same with the original filename.
>
> Has someone encountered that problem ? I've done many searchs via Google with
> the message writed in the logs (sendPacket: send: Network is down) but found
> nothing appropriate.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> J.
>

> --

"Right now I feel that I've got my feet on the ground as far as my head
is concerned."
               -- Baseball pitcher Bo Belinsky

?????????? ?. ???????? wrote:
> The problem is that Mutt is agnostic to 'accounts', I'll give you that one, but
> I don't think it'd a useful feature -- think about it, what's an account other
> than a From: field?

   For those that needs it different SMTP servers with different SMTP
settings, different filters, different folders, different incoming mail
servers, in short, the ability to completely divorce two utterly different
roles of mail without having to apply the carpentry needed to built a small house.

   IE, when I get promoted if I have a completely separate account that is
handled properly I should be able to hand over any account associated with
that role to someone else without too much trouble for either of us.

> Or maybe it's been to long since I've used anything besides
> Mutt and the metaphor is completely lost on me. In that case it would be nice to
> find out what exactly mutt is lacking.

   I admit, it is one of those features where, if you've never really
utilized it it is hard to miss.  However it is also one of those features that
one finds indispensable once you've used it and grown used to it.  Kind of
like multiple-desktops that are everywhere except for Windowsland.  ;)

Hi,

I installed stl-manual in Debian, but it is HTML format, I cannot see
from the man. Is there a STL manaual package in Debian I can use the
man to display it?

ii  stl-manual     3.30-6         C++-STL documentation in HTML

Thank you all.

I am very interested in the fuse AND the fs image solution. Is it
possible to integrate that into auto mounter or autofs type solution?
I don't want too many open mounts. If the /tmp/mountpoint it not open,
I would like to automatically disregard the mount point.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:05:42AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> What about the settings in Control Center > Desktop > Behavior > Device
> Icons and the media-related services in Control Center > KDE Components
>  > Service Manager?

The media-related daemons have always been running. The device icons
were enabled too. Basically, the storage device would show up under
system:/media in Konqueror when plugged in, but nothign now.

> How long did you wait after these messages appeared? On my system it
> takes about 2-5 seconds more for the following to show up:
>
> 23:50:53.743: volume_uuid_487F_1EC0 added
> 23:50:53.878: storage_serial_Prolific_Technology_Inc__USB_Mass_Storage_Device added
> 23:50:53.880: storage_serial_Prolific_Technology_Inc__USB_Mass_Storage_Device property info.interfaces = {'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.Removable'} (new)
>
> You should see similar output eventually, or something might be wrong
> with HAL.

You are right, I don't get any further messages. What do you suggest I
do about Hal? I have tried reinstalling it already.

--

Regards,

Kumar.

--

Kumar Ravichandran

Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Maryland
College Park, MD.

"An eye for an eye will only make the entire world blind."

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:19:57PM -0700, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> was heard to say:
>     Enter a tool which made mutt viable for my needs, mbsync (debian package -
> isync).  It is a tool which syncronizes a local Maildir folder with a remote
> imap folder.  In essence it is a local imap cache.  Mutt's failings as an imap
> client are masked since all of its operations are local.  mbsync is in my
> crontab syncronizing the local cache with the remote folders once every 5
> minutes.

 Do you know how this compares to offlineimap?  I've been using that
to synchronize mailboxes more-or-less happily for the last few years.

 Daniel

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 03:23:33PM -0500, Randall Smith <randall@tnr.cc> was heard to say:
> I installed a UML Etch dist as described here:

 [snip]

> Any idea what might cause aptitude to segfault.  BTW, apt-get works fine.

 Nope.

 Daniel

Just to confirm, because my GF was the one who told me about this, she had clicked on it, but this mallware doesn't work on Linux does it?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Dave Thayer <debian0823316.dmthayer@recursor.net> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:53:46PM -0500, Jesse Welling wrote:
> So apparently it was this:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733
>
> So any idea on the angle they are trying to attack once you go to the
> website?

Well, I couldn't resist clicking.. (running iceweasel on Debian, what
could possibly go wrong?) You get redirected to a fake malware scan
site which, big surprise, indicates that you need to download and
install Antivirus 2009 which is a fairly well known mallware.

Cheers,

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to
                     | good books. - Jack Handey "Deep Thoughts"

Hello.

Today, I have experienced file system crash on my USB
stick. I had been running Debian on it for less than two months, and
today it just started having problems reading some files. I ran fsck
and... let's just say there was not much left from my file system

Yes,
I heard that USB sticks are not very reliable. But it died after only
two months! I was expecting it to run without problems for at least a
year or so.

In the light of this, I really don't know what USB
drive should I chose now. My previous USB was an cheap A-Data (which
now sounds like a very poor choice). Are other memory sticks (Kingston,
OCZ, etc) more reliable?

Please share some of your experience.
Which USB drives would you recommend, and which are not good for 24/7
usage as Linux root file system?

I don't want to install my
system on a hard drive because of power consumption and heat. I really
want to use USB drive, but I need something that will last for more
than two months.

> Hi.
> I was just trying to install today's updates for Debian lenny

> (testing), and debconf throws these errors at me while upgrading
> libpam0:
>
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Setting up libpam0g (1.0.1-2) ...
> Checking for services that may need to be restarted...Checking init scripts...
> debconf: Unable to load Debconf::Element:Dialog::String.
> Failed because: Can't locate Debconf/Element/Dialog/String.pm in @INC

Ok so my file system died (on USB stick), and it was just a first symptom. Now I will have a chance to check if my backups work...

John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>:
>  Shachar Or wrote:
> > I wonder if there's a system somewhere that was never re-installed, only
> > upgraded from one of the earliest versions...
>
>  I'm using it right now (of course, none of the hardware is the same...)
>
> > It would be interesting to see what ruins can be found amongst the files.
>
>  There's my fvwm configuration and my .emacs.  Both go all the way back to
>  my days on BSDI and both could be justifiably described as "ruins".

Might I solicit your opinion of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Design

Interesting story.  If it had been done five years later, ...  Ten?

(*)    http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html      Linux Counter #80292
- -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html    Please, don't Cc: me.