Re: no network connection

Ed Sutter wrote:

> My goal is to have the debian-based system start up with Ethernet
> enabled immediately (I would have thought that would be the standard
> way it would boot up).  I don't want to have to log into my console
> and click something to start up Ethernet.

You shouldn't have to. It's just a matter of getting the contents of
/etc/network/interfaces correct. I'm not familiar with Gnome's network-manager,
but if you post the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces I bet somebody
could help you.

[...]

> I assumed that the ifup/ifdown stuff discussed in the "man interfaces"
> was referring to some call to ifup that was being done during
> system startup somewhere; hence, the reason for my reboot.

You're correct. If you want to restart ifupdown without rebooting, you can issue
'/etc/init.d/networking restart' (without quotes and as root -- use sudo if
you've got it). That'll save time, especially while you're debugging.

Good luck,

- Chris