screen resolution

Hi,
New to this list, and new to Debian.  Just installed this over top of
an old installation of RH9, which worked fine, just a bit dated.  My
machine is a K6-2, old but reliable.
I installed by creating a small install CD, booting from CD and then
basically letting it do its thing for an hour downloading stuff and
installing a fresh system.  That all went well, I am able to log
into the console etc; however, the screen resolution is stuck at 640x480.

I've read through the archives and googled till my fingers are sore.
All the solutions I've seen say to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf either manually
or by using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.  Then restart gdm.

Tried that several times, and I've gotten one of two results each time:

1) either it has no effect at all or
2) xserver won't even start up because its confused.

Bottom line, is that I can't do much at the console with a 640x480 resolution
because many of the dialog boxes span outside the window, and they are not
moveable; hence, if I want to be able to use the GNOME environment fruitfully
I need to get the resolution up.

I have a Permedia 2 graphics card and a Princeton 19" LCD display.  The auto-detect
in xserver-xorg seems to find that ok.  They're both capable of handling 1280x1024
and the xorg.conf file that is created by dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg shows that
this resolution is possible.

No matter what I do, I'm not able to get the screen resolution up.  It appears that
it is just defaulting to the bare minimum resolution for some reason, but as far as
I can tell, the card and monitor are properly being detected.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Ed