NVidia - blanking problems

Hello,
I have:
- Debian SID (updated month ago or so)
- 2.6.25 x86_64 kernel on my laptop with NVidia card
- NVidia proprietary drivers, most probably 173.14.09-3 (I'm writing
this from another computer)
Kernel and nvidia are official Debian packages.

The problem:
when my screen goes blank, it can't be restored easily. I have to go
through alt-ctrl-f1, alt-ctrl-f7 sequence to restore it,
which is very irritating. How can I avoid this?

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start X (in my case with KDE)
2. Wait reasonable amount of time for the screen to go blank. I guess
it is the time displayed by:
$ xset q | grep -A3 ^DPMS
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On
(standby?)
3. Press any key.
At that time, I would expect display to be restored. Instead, I get
either black screen with different color of black, or random
horizontal/vertical lines jumping on the screen.
I have to press ctrl-alt-f1 (I can't see text console), then
ctrl-alt-f7. It restores my display.

I have searched the web, but can't find the answer (forming a question
is even tricky).
I have only tried to switch "sync to vblank" "sync to hblank" in
nvidia-settings, with no particular effect.

What can I do to improve my work?

Regards,
Robert