Re: Pendrive not mounted when another usb device is plugged in

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 22:27 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> >> [...] in /etc/fstab I'd refer to that drive not as /dev/sda but by it's
> >> UUID.
>

> Rodolfo:
>
> > All right, I did so and now the mount problem seems to be fixed.  But now,
> > when I want to unmount it, with: `umount /mnt/sda', the output is:
> > `Segmentation fault', and the drive is not unmounted.
> >
> > How to unmount it now?
>

> I have to unmount it as root.  In fstab there is now:
>
> UUID=44F1-7D0C /mnt/sda 	vfat    rw,user,noauto       0       0
>
> , but as a normal user I can only mount the device, not unmount it: to unmount
> it I must be root.  Why this?

with user in fstab, the user that mounted should be able to umount it,
like Ron asked, what is your error?

> Another thing that is not clear to me is the difference between the `user' and
> `users' options of `mount' command.

This one is simple, user =  a user can mount it, the SAME user can
umount it.  users = a user can mount it, ANY user can umount it.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com