Re: Weird font problem

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 16:17:23 +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On 2008-08-12, you wrote:
> > Quoting "cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)" <cobaco AT linux DOT be>:
> > > I have a weird font problem on my new laptop:
> >
> > How did you install the system, did you use the "desktop" task or manual
> > package selection? In other words, is it possible that some "standard"
> > font packages are missing?
>
> I used the desktop task, and then manually installed kde4 from experimetnal

OK, I think that should have given you all font packages that you need.

> > Did you copy your home directory from another installation to the new
> > laptop? In that case there might be a configuration file referring to a
> > font that is missing on the laptop.
>
> I copied the home directory, but the problem persists with a test user
>
> > > Fonts in X only work for kde4 apps, everything else (Iceweasel,
> > > openoffice, gnome in general, and kde3 apps) looks like the attached
> > > screenshot.
> > >
> > > I've already tried:
> > > - running 'fc-cache -fv'
> > > - running 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config'
> > > - running 'defoma-reconfigure'
> > >
> > > pakcage versions are:
> > > fontconfig 2.6.0-1
> > > fontconfig-config 2.6.0-1
> > > defoma 0.11.10-0.2
> > >
> > > I'm completely stumped, anybody have any ideas about what to try/check?
>
> > What do you get from these commands:
> > grep -Ei 'font|freetype' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[ snip: everything seems to be fine as far as Xorg is concerned ]

> > grep -i font ~/.kderc ~/.gtkrc-2.0
>
> neither is present

You could try to create ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with this content:

# ----- starts below this line -----
style "user-font"
{
        font_name="Bitstream Vera Sans 10"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"
# ----- ends above this line -----

Maybe that will help with iceweasel and openoffice. You can use another
font instead of Bitstream Vera Sans, of course. You can get a list of
valid font names for your system by running

fc-list | cut -d: -f1 | sort -u

The font name is followed by the size in .gtkrc-2.0 (10 points in the
example above).

As far as the KDE 3 applications are concerned, you could try to run the
KDE 3 control center and set up the fonts, or you could copy my ~/.kderc
(changing font names if necessary):

cat ~/.kderc
[General]
StandardFont=DejaVu Sans,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
activeFont=DejaVu Sans,10,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0
background=210,210,210
fixed=DejaVu Sans Mono,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
font=DejaVu Sans,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
menuFont=DejaVu Sans,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
selectBackground=103,141,178
selectForeground=255,255,255
taskbarFont=Luxi Sans,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
toolBarFont=DejaVu Sans,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
windowBackground=255,255,255
windowForeground=0,0,0

> 'rgrep -i font ~/.kde4/share/config' gives the contents of the kde4-grep
> attachment
>
> 'rgrep -i font ~/.gnome2 ~/.gnome' finds nothing
>
> > grep -i font ~/.xsession-errors | sort -u

[...]

That output did not really give me any new ideas. There do not seem to
be any complaints about invalid font names of size specifications.

> > > P.S. please CC me as I'm not subscribed

          Florian   |