transferring directories with scp/rsync?

Hello,

I have a directory /tmp/foo on my local host alpha.org and I wish to
transfer it to user Bob (/home/bob) in dirctory $HOME/www/bar on
remote host beta.org. How precisely can I do this 1) using scp 2)
using rsync? I would like to see the commands for doing this with both
methods. Ssh is running on both hosts.

Also what happens if the directory already existed on the remote host
and has some of the same file names. Is it possible to use md5sums so
that if a file is exact (same hash) it will prompt me and ask if I
want to over-write it before it does?

Zach