Re: difference between NEW and Extra packages in dpkg install

Perhaps I need to understand why these 2 categories are called out separately
- what is the significance of saying that to install a package A, package X,
Y are "NEW"ly installed and package Z is "Extra". Is it safe to say that the
list of packages which were not there before but are now "brought in" are X,
Y, Z ?

Thanks for being patient with my questions.