Re: setting the system time?

On 08/12/08 05:18, Aniruddha wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 05:43 -0400, Zach Uram wrote:
My new install of Debian 4.0 seems to have the wrong time, it says right now:

Tue Aug 12 09:42:34 UTC 2008

but the correct time is:

Tue Aug 12 05:42:00 EST 2008

Why isn't it EDT?

How can I set this? I want it set once and for all so even after
server reboot it shall still be correct.

Thanks,
Zach

Is you your local time correctly set? Furthermore  you can use ntp.

And ntpdate at boot-up. Ansgar's suggestion regarding tzdata is also important.

Also, look in/etc/default/rcS for the UTC line. Mine is "yes", but because the TZ is set correctly, dates display as the correct local time.

$ date
Tue Aug 12 07:31:12 CDT 2008

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.