Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net>:
>  s. keeling wrote:
> > No, I think he was serious, and I agree with him.  Do you want
> > your access to the pkging system to be borked when X is borked?
> > Especially in this nvidia crazed age?
>
>  Can you elaborate on that statement? I ask because of my utter
>  frustration with my NVIDIA card lately, as Ron already knows...

I've only used nvidia, never owned one.  This is all from what I've
seen on the lists and experience with others'.

If you're intent on getting all you can get out of your card, then
you're probably fiddling with a binary blob from nvidia.  Many's the
post I've seen from people trying to get X working again after a
kernel upgrade.  It's pretty easy and well documented.

If you're not so intent, the generic "nv" driver works great from what
I've seen.  It may not be enough for Compiz(?), but I've seen it serve
a mostly gui and some text based user satisfactorily.