Re: suspend / hibernate

On Aug 8, 2008, at 12:40 AM, Dale wrote:
2008/8/6 Dale <quail.linux@gmail.com>:
Hi all,

I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
a lost how to debug it.

If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated
[.....]

After doing some research and testing I still have not been able to
stop the initial system load when coming out of suspend / hibernate.
The commands 'ps aux' and 'top' are to showing me what is causing the
system load.

from the proc(5) man page:

/proc/loadavg
       The load average numbers give the number of jobs in the
       run queue (state R) or waiting for disk I/O (state D)
       averaged over 1, 5, and 15 minutes.  They are the same
       as the load average numbers given by uptime(1) and other
       programs.

While your machine is suspended, isn't every process waiting? So if your machine has 150 processes running and a normal load of 0, and the suspend/resume occupies the processor for 0.1 minutes = six seconds, the one-minute load average should jump up to 15? Even if no processes are waiting after the resume, the one-minute average won't go back down for ... a minute.

Have you actually tried a benchmark, instead of looking at the system load? Something like

$ for i in $(seq 10) ; do date ; time head -c 1000000 /dev/urandom | md5sum ; done 2>&1 | grep ^real $ sudo suspend ; for i in $(seq 10) ; do date ; time head -c 1000000 / dev/urandom | md5sum ; done 2>&1 | grep ^real

This would give you an idea of how long soon after the suspend your machine gets back to its normal speed. The "load average" may not mean what it usually does here.

I haven't followed the thread closely, apologies if this is duplicate information.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin