Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

Kent West <westk@acu.edu>:
>  Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:01 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >
> >>   Heh. :-)
> >>
> >>   I actually am curious to hear what people like about the program,
> >> because I'm (slowly) working out ideas for redesigning the interface
> >> and I don't want to accidentally break useful features.  Any breakage
> >> should be fully intentional, that's my motto.
> >>
> >>   Hence my oh-so-subtle prodding...
> >>
> >>   Daniel
> >
> > Sadly, I have NEVER used aptitude ncurses.  Ever since the early days of
> > Potato, when I tried to use it, I would get completely lost.  As smart
>
>  Ditto. I'm sure it's a fine program, but I, too, get lost with the
>  ncurses interface of aptitude. (I actually found dselect easier to get
>  around in. What?!!)

Sorry for the me too, but I was just about to say that.

I've no trouble with either at the command line.  The *curses
interface is highly non-intuitive (IMO).  It, along with dselect, has
always struck me as just a little Martian.  That's fine in vi or emacs
that you use all the time (so you learn it), but in a pkg mgr?

I liked dselect once I banged my head on it long enough.  Nowadays, I
manage to limit myself to CLI aptitude, with very infrequent
indulgences in dpkg.

So, Daniel, _consider_ (thanks :-) a wholesale interface re-design
(you've free rein), or offer choice of old or new via command line
switch, or something, a la view vs. vi?  IFF "--new" is found on CL,
give 'em the new one?  What'll the old one say when it sees that?
Hmm.  Gotta be a better way.  Env. var?

Have fun.

Disclosure; I haven't so much as looked at the *curses interface to
any of it in years, sorry.  I could well be p***ng into my hat.