Re: Is the monitor ON?

mike wrote:
Far on the other side of my building at work I have several linux boxes that displays a slide-show on a X screen. When our power blinks the computer will reboot and is fine. The monitor (which is a flatscreen tv) turns off and stays off until someone turns it on. From my desk I can easily tell if the computer is up and running, but I can't find a way to tell if the monitor is on or not.
Does anyone have a way to remotely tell if a monitor is on?

Thanks
Mike

Thanks to everyone for their  great suggestions.
From my desk I could run ddcprobe and get-edit They would both tell me if my IBM monitor was turned off. Things where looking great. I began thinking about how to get them installed on all the other computers, what cronjobs to run and how to get the html set up so I could monitor things. It was going to be a great afternoon. Then I decided to try them on one of the flat screen monitors. On or off they reported the same. Even if I took the power cable off of the monitor (it was really really off) it was still reporting the same info. The only way it didn't report the same is if I took the vga cable off of the monitor. I guess I will keep looking for a solution.
thanks again for all  you help

Mike