Help with iPod touch?

I've inherited an iPod touch, and am trying to see how well it will work
with Debian.

So far, not well.

When I first plugged it in, KDE asked what I wanted to do with it, and I
told it to open a new Konqueror window, and it showed a few
files/directories, but I was unable to do anything with them; upon
trying to access the files, either they were empty or reported an error
of no longer existing.

After installing two or three iPod-related items (ipod and maybe a
couple of others; I'm running sid), now when I try to plug it in, the
KDE window tries to open but then sounds off the glass-breaking sound of
an error and complains that the requested device could not be found on
the USB port.

When I run "ipod --list" (even as sudo), I get "No iPod devices present".

Nothing I've tried with Amarok seems to recognize it.

The back of the unit claims to be a model A1213 (8GB); the internal
"About" screen reports:

Version: 2.0 (5A347)
Model: MA623LL

Googling hasn't turned up much help for me, so I'm hoping one of you
folks can help me get it working; I'd hate to have to resort to using a
Mac just to put some audio files on this thing. (Pfft! Proprietary; I
hate proprietary!)

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com