Re: installing a package from lenny on an etch machine...

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:17:00 -0400
Rick Thomas <rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:

> As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server"
> package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.
> I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now.  And I
> really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny
> libraries.

I agree.

> So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
> source package and recompile it on Etch.
> Can anybody tell me how to do that?  RTFM is easy if you know what
> parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM,
> that will be great!

You should install autotools-dev for first.
Get the source then:

If it compiles it's a good thing and we could work on debianizating it,
but I still won't do "make install" to install it into your system.
Though I don't think developers would put such blocker dependencies that don't exist.

- --
http://syx.googlecode.com - Smalltalk YX
http://lethalman.blogspot.com - Thoughts about computer technologies
http://www.ammazzatecitutti.org - Ammazzateci tutti