Re: Nvidia GeForce FX5200 problems

On 07/31/08 17:08, Frank McCormick wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:40:03 -0500

    Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of
the xorg log file is:
startx FTW!!!!

   I'll try that as soon as I reboot.

The benefit is that you can log in and do "stuff" from the console. Put your mail in IMAP and then you can read/send email from mutt or alpine when you've got GUI problems, and Sylpheed when X works!

(EE) AIGLX  Screen 0 is not DRI capable.

 What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia
card and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?
Is CONFIG_DRM set in your kernel?

   Yes. As a module.
   BTW what is config_drm ??

We who use nvidia and "nv" drivers don't need it.

Is this:
     Disable        "dri"
or this:
     Load           "dri"
in your xorg.conf?

Is this:
     Option         "AIGLX"   "true"
in the "ServerLayout" section of your xorg.conf?

   xorg.conf has Option "AIGLX" "false" in it.

Hmmm.  Very interesting.  In a confusing sort of way...

How recent is "fairly recent"?

  Dunno to tell you the truth...about a year or 8 months.

That's reasonable...  7xxx or 8xxx?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Scientists are people, too.  IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."