Re: Nvidia GeForce FX5200 problems

On 07/31/08 17:08, Frank McCormick wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:40:03 -0500

    Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of
the xorg log file is:
startx FTW!!!!

   I'll try that as soon as I reboot.

The benefit is that you can log in and do "stuff" from the console. Put your mail in IMAP and then you can read/send email from mutt or alpine when you've got GUI problems, and Sylpheed when X works!

(EE) AIGLX  Screen 0 is not DRI capable.

 What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia
card and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?
Is CONFIG_DRM set in your kernel?

   Yes. As a module.
   BTW what is config_drm ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Manager
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Infrastructure

We who use nvidia and "nv" drivers don't need it.

Is this:
     Disable        "dri"
or this:
     Load           "dri"
in your xorg.conf?

   No.

Is this:
     Option         "AIGLX"   "true"
in the "ServerLayout" section of your xorg.conf?

   xorg.conf has Option "AIGLX" "false" in it.

Hmmm.  Very interesting.  In a confusing sort of way...

How recent is "fairly recent"?

  Dunno to tell you the truth...about a year or 8 months.

That's reasonable...  7xxx or 8xxx?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Scientists are people, too.  IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html