Re: Nvidia GeForce FX5200 problems

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:44:56 -0500
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:

> * Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> [2008 Jul 31 16:36 -0500]:
>
> >     Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
> > the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final line of
> > the xorg log file is:
> >

> > Maybe I shouldn't say this but my Ubuntu installation (Gutsy) had
> > the card up and running in 5 minutes
>
> Can you replicate the Xorg file that Ubuntu created on Debian?
> Really, it seems as though the nv driver ought to at least run the
> card in 2D mode while the proprietary nvidia driver is needed for 3D
> and other effects/features.

   That's what I thought - matter of fact I copied the xorg.conf file
to my Debian Sid partition----and commented out lines which weren't
needed. Blank screen and lockup after GDM loads.

> Your Xorg.conf file can be rather minimal as the X server will probe
> for most things, at least on Etch or newer.

   Again that's what I thought - so I removed the xorg.conf file. Blank
screen. I don't think this is a hardware problem as Gutsy runs fine
with the new card and what Ubuntu calls the proprietary driver.
It has got to be a problem with Xorg in Sid.

This has got me beat. I am frustrated beyond belief!

Cheers

Frank