Re: Nvidia GeForce FX5200 problems

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:34:10 +0100
Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 16:13:13 -0400, Frank McCormick
> (debian@videotron.ca) wrote:

> > I have just spent a couple of hours trying to install the card in
> > the subject line in my computer which is running Debian Sid.
> >
> > After changing the BIOS to reflect the new card (PCI) I ended up at
> > a black screen after GDM ran. Killing GDM (and X) got to to a
> > command line where I changed xorg.conf to use the Debian Nvidia
> > driver (prior to trying to install the Nvidia driver). No good.
> > Blank screen again. So I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. No
> > good. At one point dpkg-reconfigure told me I didn't have
> > xserver-xorg installed!!  Has anyone else had problems with this
> > card? The only thing I didn't try was the VESA driver. Needless to
> > say I am back to Intel video for now.

    Well I just spent 2 hours trying again. The VESA driver gave me
the same results...blank screen after GDM loaded. The final law of the
xorg log file is:

(EE) AIGLX  Screen 0 is not DRI capable.

 What is DRI and why does a combination of a fairly recent Nvidia card
and a new LG LCD monitor not give me a DRI capable screen ?

<from Bob Cox)

> Just in case you haven't seen this:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>
> then it might be useful.

  I went there and got lost after the first 3 paragraphs. Gawd why does
this have to be so tough?

Maybe I shouldn't say this but my Ubuntu installation (Gutsy) had the
card up and running in 5 minutes

Cheers

Frank