Re: fortune not working

Mark Allums wrote:
Peter Daum wrote:
certainly not the most critical problem, but at least on my system (mainly Etch, I also tried the fortune package from Lenny) doesn't work. when I trace it, I can see that it reads a bunch of fortue data files but that is obviously just
for its own pleasure - it just silently exits w/o any error.

Any ideas?
                         Peter

I bet it is producing output *somewhere*, the question is *where*.

That would be pretty amazing, because it isn't even trying to -
as already said, when it strace what it does, I can see it opening
and reading a whole bunch of date files, but it does not issue a
single "write" syscall.
There also should be al necessary packages installed (unless there
is something essential missing in the dependencies):
#  dpkg -l fortune*|grep ii
ii  fortune-mod    1.99.1-3.1     provides fortune cookies on demand
ii  fortunes       1.99.1-3.1     Data files containing fortune cookies
ii  fortunes-min   1.99.1-3.1     Data files containing fortune cookies