Re: NFS problem -- SOLVED!

Alex Samad put me on the right track to the solution.  See comments in
line below.

<snip>

>> Other factors which may have a bearing on the situation:  the BDS
>> computer is a P4; whereas the SOL is a dual core on a Foxconn
>> motherboard.  Several other things do not work properly in SOL, such as
>>  mounting and unmounting CF cards; so I wonder if there is something
>> wrong with the Foxconn BIOS.  There has been some noise on line recently
>> about Foxconn's unfriendliness to Linux; for on Foxconn board model (not
>> mine) somebody disected the BIOS and found out why.  When he raised the
>> issue with Foxconn they were upset at being found out but did not care
>> whether Linux worked with Foxconn boards or not.  Caveat emptor.
>
> I would be rather supprised if a boggy bios stopped nfs mounting, as long
> as ping and other ip was working okay.

Yes, true in this case, but I think I still have issues respecting this
board and its BIOS -- subject for a separate thread perhaps.

<snip again to the part of Alex's post which put me on the right track.>

> Also have a look from each server to the other server with showmounts -e
> <servername>

I did not know about this command, which by the way is "showmount", so I
read its man page.  Running "showmount -e SOL" on BDS returned the
directories exported from BDS, not those exported from SOL -- most
peculiar.  I then got the bright idea to run "showmount -e
192.168.0.114", 114 being the IP address of the SOL box.  This time the
command returned the directories exported from SOL.  So what it going on?

By running ifconfig in both boxes I verified their IP addresses.  I
checked the /etc/hosts file in both to verify that the right hostnames
were assigned to the right IP addresses.  They were.

I paid particular attention to the BDS:/etc/hosts file, because I
assumed that the problem must reside there.  Finally I noticed that the
 local loopback alias was SOL, not BDS.  The box now called BDS used to
be called SOL.  When I changed the name I changed the name assigned to
the IP address of the new BDS (old SOL) but had neglected to change the
loopback alias.  So I changed it, and BDS can now access the directories
exported from SOL.

I don't fully understand the loopback, but the fact that I had the
loopback alias wrong obviously explains why other things had not worked,
such as accessing html files from a browser using the alias rather than
"localhost".

Thanks to Thomas P. and Alex S. for their help.

Regards,

Ken Heard