New Graphics Adaptor (a bit off topic?)

Hi all,

First time that something easy like this is tripping me up.....

I'm building a new system using Etch as the OS.  I installed Etch on my SATA
drive (no problem) using the on board video that came with my ASUS M2MPV-VM
motherboard. The on-board video is GeForce 6150.  System is running well.

Now, I want to upgrade the video, so I plugged a GeForce 8600 GT video adaptor
(PCIe 16) into my motherboard (ASUS M2MPV VM), went into the bios (phoenix)
and changed the primary display adaptor to PCIe.  When the system boots,
there is no output on the video of the PCIe card--all output still goes to
the on-board video.  I thought that one change would send output to the PCIe
card.  Can anyone tell me what additional steps I need to take to get video
to output to the PCIe adaptor?

Many thanks,

Mark