Re: Unable to run snaptic package manager or apt-get

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 05:00:02PM +0300, "Young, Loren R SGT NG NG NGB" <russ.young@us.army.mil> was heard to say:
>   I attempted to download Ultimatix and now I am unable to use any of my package managers to install programs.  I have tried several apt-get commands and receive the following error message: "Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock -open 13 permission denied."

  That's not a lock failure; it actually lacks permissions to access the
file.

  What are the permissions of /var/lib/dpkg/lock?  (run ls -l
/var/lib/dpkg/lock)  Also, you *are* running apt-get as root, right?

  Daniel