Re: resolv.conf, opendns and ppp nameservers

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently my router machine gets nameservers from my ISP and these
> nameservers appear in my /etc/resolv.conf after the ppp0 connection is
> made.
>
> Hearing about the recent DNS vulnerability, I am thinking of using
> OpenDNS for now. It appears that one way is to enter the OpenDNS
> nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and comment out the "usepeerdns" line
> in  /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider.
>
> I also think that resolv.conf is made in some automagical way by the
> pon command when the ppp0 connection is established and that editing
> it by hand is not recommended.
>
> So, is there a way that when I do not use the 'usepeerdns' option I
> always get OpenDNS nameservers and if I do use that option, I get the
> nameservers from my ISP instead?
>
> Perhaps there is a conf file somewhere in which I can insert the
> OpenDNS nameservers as being default nameservers to be used in case
> usepeerdns is not used?

In the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf there is the "prepend
domain-name-servers <server1>;<server2>;" line which should do the trick
(but I have not tried). Or you can try "supersede" instead of "prepend"
to get only the OpenDNS servers.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb