Re: Question on flash player

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:01:19 -0400
Jonathan Jacobs <stingray761@fuse.net> wrote:

Hello Jonathan,

> I still consider myself a newbe.  I have looked in Synaptic package
> manager and I have orange liborange0 when I do a search for flash
> player.  I see swf-player, but that says that is a plugin for mozilla
> and I am using Epiphany as my web-browser.  I have downloaded
> flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.i386.rpm but how do I install
> that....what program?

Don't, is the easy answer.  Debian is not an RPM based distro, and even
though it is possible to install what you've got, you can end up in a
big mess chasing dependencies, and checking things aren't going to be
overwritten and broken by Debian packages.  Or vice-versa, of course.
In any event, Epiphany runs the same Mozilla plugins and extensions
that Firefox does.  Don't believe me?  Read the last paragraph on this
page; http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/

If you're not a FLOSS purist, you might want to add the
debian-multimedia archives at http://debian-multimedia.org/ to your
apt.sources list (do it through Synaptic, if that's what you're used
to), and you'll have access to the Adobe Flash player, Acroread and
more, if you wish.  It's not part of the official Debian sources,
because of the not-entirely free nature of the licenses of things
there.  Many of us here have it added in.

> And on another install question, I have downloaded
> adobeair_linux_a1_033108.bin because there are some add ons for this
> that I want to use.  How do I install a bin file?

Simply by running it from a command line.  Prepend with ./ if running
from current directory.

--
 Regards  _

I don't believe you have to be an idiot to get somewhere these days
Bombsite Boy - The Adverts