Re: How do I update kernel in Debian 4

Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> We have Debian 4.0 running on one of our computers; a server of sorts.
>
> Accessing that computer, for system updates, etc, is done through
> telnet.
>
> Running uname -a, which I understand returns the kernel version, returns
> 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 GNU/Linux
>
> In searching on the Internet, I cannot find an easy way, using apt-get,
> of updating (or upgrading) the kernel, and it is clearly not
> automatically done when running apt-get update followed by
> apt-get-upgrade.
>
> The GUI system update/upgrade facility on my workstation (also Debian
> 4.0), automatically includes kernel updates; the last one done today
> (from Synaptic File -> History, "linux-image-2.6.18-6-k7
> (2.6.18.dfsg.1-18etch6) to 2.6.18.dfsg.1-22").
>
> How do I get what automatically works with the GUI update/upgrade
> facility, to work with a command line apt-get update then apt-get
> dist-upgrade facility, to update/upgrade the kernel?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> --
> Bret Busby

Hi Bret,
1. At the console type "aptitude search linux-image" You will see a list of
kernels.
2. Pick the kernel of you choice, say, linux-image-2.6.25-2-686, and AS ROOT
or using sudo type "aptitude install linux-image-2.6.25-2-686" (if that's
the kernel you want).
Then reboot and you should see the newly installed kernel appear on your
boot menu.
Cheers,
Jonathan