[OT perhaps] Any way to restore Iceweasel 2 behavior in the Navigation bar?

Hello:

I mostly like Firefox/Iceweasel 3 but I hate what they've done to the
navigation bar.  Clicking on the down-arrow at the right now brings up
unclassified bookmarks or something instead of recently visited sites.
 (Is it an attempt to replicate some sort of IE behavior?  I wouldn't
know, but if so, why???)  Yes, I know there's another down-arrow on
the toolbar to bring up recent sites visited, but it's TAB-SPECIFIC.
And I use tabs a lot, tabs being one of the things which makes Firefox
terrific.  I want to be able to click on that right down-arrow and get
the list of recently-visited sites (without regard to tab) I used to
get.  Is there any way to do that, or did some geek or other decide to
change the user experience irrevocably for no good reason?

Patrick