Re: DMA is turned off on my HDD

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 08:59:09PM +0300, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
> Anton Liaukevich wrote:
>> In several days I discovered that DMA is turned off on my HDD (fsck
>> sayed it while Debian booting). Please, help me turn on DMA mode.
>>
>> My hardware:
>>     motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I rev 3.3 (nForce 2 Ultra)
>>     hdd: WD1200JB (ide, 120gb)
>>     cpu: Sempron 2200 (k7)
>>
>> My software:
>>     Debian lenny
>>     kernel: linux 2.6.24-1-686
>>     bootloader: grub 0.97-41
>>

> Today I upgraded my linux kernel to 2.6.25-2-686, but problem hasn't
> been solved yet.

All I can suggest is:

In the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, edit the line:
# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro

to read:
# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 dma=on ro

of course make sure that "/dev/hda1" is correct for your setup. If you
only have one HDD installed then it probably is already correct.

Then run update-grub

Install hdparm:
aptitude install hdparm

reboot

then run:
hdparm /dev/hda

and see if dma is turned on, e.g:

root@box:~# hdparm /dev/hda
[..]
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
[..]

If instead, it outputs "using_dma    =  0 (off)" then I'm sorry, but I
am unable to help further. You may want to run the hdparm command BEFORE
you edit your menu.lst to ensure that the dma is actually off and you
are not being deceived in some way. :-)

--
Chris.
======