Making Kmail attachments available to OOo

Hello

On my wife's Etch machine, running KDE, she is experiencing a problem opening attachments with OOo (any component - writer, impress, calc, etc.) once they have been in her inbox for a while. I *think* that what is happening is that Kmail stores these in .kde/tmp (not the correct path) and for whatever reason OOo is just not searching there to open the attachments. Instead, it throws an error message that <filename> does not exist (or cannot be found - sorry I am doing this from memory).

How do I go about fixing this and ensuring that the directory Kmail uses to store attachments is in OOo's search path?

Thanks

Andy