Re: Multiple static ips and dhcp mixed

Alex Samad wrote:
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:48:10AM +0200, Armin Häberling wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a development machine of ours. For testing our application it need two static ips. it does not need to be accessible under these ips from outside. Another interface should be configured via dhcp. I would use a static ip, but it's a laptop that may be used in a lots of different networks.

My /etc/network/interfaces looks like this

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth1:0
iface eth1:0 inet static
        address 172.16.2.201
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 172.16.2.255

auto eth1:1
iface eth1:1 inet static
        address 172.16.2.201
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 172.16.2.255

they are the same address ?

Thats a typo, thanks

I set up the static ips in a private subnet.

The problems with this solution is that eth1:0 and eth1:0 are not set up at boot time. They are only set up if I do a /etc/init.d/networking restart. The second is that if I unplug the network eth1:0 and eth1:1 also go down. I would really like them to be up all the time (remeber that I don't care if they are not accessible from another machine).

why not add the addresses to lo then

how can I do that?