Re: Kernel version for Pentium MMX

Account for Debian group mail wrote:
My question is, on the upgrade should I install the kernel-image-2.6-386
or the kernel-image-2.6-686? I see no 586tsc.

Wow, this brings back memories (COAST modules anyone?) IIRC the 686 image will barf on your Pentium MMX as the Pentium Pro instruction set isn't supported. Don't know if it'd be worth looking at linux-image-2.6-486.

Out of curiosity, why hang onto an old Pentium when you can pick up an old Athlon or P3 for probably nothing? Aside from not dumping yet another system into the waste stream that is.

Best of luck,
--
Henry Luciano	Mote Marine Laboratory
IS Director	941-388-4441 x409

"The computer ... is an Old Testament God -
 lots of rules and no mercy." ~ Joseph Campbell