Re: Changing locale for X session

Shachar Or wrote the following on 20.07.2008 21:02

> Hi!
>
> Using etch. Using kdm.
>
> I've found that I can put stuff in ~/.xsession. I put 'export
> LC_ALL=he_IL.UTF-8' there. That made the xserver start and quit, putting me
> back in kdm.

in kde you can use a shell script like (chmod 700):
<--------------------------------------------
$ cat ~/.kde/env/locale.sh
#!/bin/bash
export LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
export LANGUAGE="de_DE:de"
--------------------------------------------->

gnome pendant:
<--------------------------------------------
$ cat ~/.gnomerc
export LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
export LANGUAGE="de_DE:de"
#export LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"
--------------------------------------------->

i have asked because the xserver in lenny will ease all of this:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xorg/xorg_7.3+14/changelog

<--------------------------------------------
  * Add support for $HOME/.xsessionrc. Closes: #411639
     This file, if present, will get sourced during the start of your X
     session. This allows you to set session-wide environment variables
     easily for things like locale information. Patch adapted from one by
     Yves-Alexis Perez. Thanks also to Holger Levsen and Osamu Aoki for
     advice.
     + Adds 40x11-common_xsessionrc to /etc/X11/Xsession.d
     + Document this in Xsession.5 manpage
     + Add a NEWS.Debian entry about it
     + Modifies /etc/X11/Xsession to declare the location of ~/.xsessionrc.
       Custom versions of Xsession (like gdm's) will need an update

</snip>

> Good week!

HTH
--