Re: OT: Audiophile grade music server using several flavors of Debian

On Sat,19.Jul.08, 15:37:00, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> -
>> Mark it [OT] and post away!
>
> Thanks...
>
> Just thought someone could benefit from this application, or I could
> receive some constructive criticism on some of choices I had made.

I would only like to give my setup as example.

> I had been researching way to assemble an audiophile grade music server
> since early last year for my dedicated listening room. There were
> several ready to go retail (Sonos, Slim Devices, McIntosh, etc.)
> solutions that were quickly dismissed because of price and/or their
> closed hardware/software nature. The server had to fit several criteria:
>
> 1. open source, preferably Debian based (apt makes software easy to
> install and it's my desktop OS)
> 2. relatively low cost
> 3. audiophile grade (FLAC output via USB without any re-sampling and/or
> conversion of the audio stream)
> 4. power efficiency  (preferably below 10 watts)
> 5. absolute silence ( NO fans or disk drives in the listening room)
> 6. ability to control music and play lists from the listening position
> with relative ease.
> 7. stability

[...]

I have an old box with standard hardware: PIII-500MHz (with a huge
fanless sink) on a i440BX chipset and 256MB RAM [1]. When the HDD died I
built a custom Live-Debian image for it, as it won't boot from USB or
disks larger than 32GB (and the BIOS update won't apply). It also has a
sound card with both coaxial and optical digital out (based on CMI-8738)
connecting to my receiver and a fanless nVidia GForce card. As the PSU
is also pretty quiet the noise level is ok as long as the CD doesn't
spin [2].

It's main purpose was to be able to watch movies on my TV, but I use it
mostly to listen to my favorite radio station [3] or listen to music in
whatever format available (but preferably flac or ogg) by accessing a
samba share from my laptop or even directly from an external USB drive.

Right now I am experimenting with pulseaudio to provide a decent output
for my laptop. I have to say it works very well, I was able to watch a
movie on the laptop with the sound output over a wireless g connection
without any problems. Too bad moc doesn't know pulseaudio :(

[1] Actually it's a 512MB stick, but the board is limited to 256MB per
slot

[2] I'm planning on acquiring a PCI-to-USB2 adapter and then use the CD
only for booting

[3] The reception is no very good where I live, over the internet it's
much better

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)