Re: Re: Switch-off problem

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/19/08 04:46, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:[..]

>> Now my theory is that the switch-off problem occurs after the
>>  following events:
>>
>> 1 - I mount the remote usb drive.
>> 2 - my wife switches off her computer.
>> 3 - I try to umount the remote usb drive -- this cannot be
>>     done.
>>
>> I suppose the shutdown program also tries to umount nfs
>> mounts, but fails, and then instead of skipping this step,
>> just hangs. Does this make sense? If so, is there a way to
>> solve this problem?
>
> Manually "umount -l" the remote drive before you shutdown?

This does not work. Manually umounting the nfs drive (after the
computer which hosts the nfs drive is switched off) just leads to
a hang, whether the "lazy" switch is applied or not. In fact I
cannot even type the umount command entirely: the system hangs
immediately after typing the first 3 characters (including the
leading /) of the mount point.

Anyway it seems (from /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh) that the -l
switch, as well as the -f switch, is already applied by default.
Running Sid; kernel is a stock Debian one:

2.6.25-2-686 #1 SMP Wed May 14 16:42:03 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

It seems that nfs on the remote computer fails to send a command
(before shutting itself down) to the computers to which it
exports, telling them to umount. This may be a bug, or, much more
likely, a failure on my part to understand the nfs export system.
Anyway, I never had this trouble while samba was used for sharing,
rather than nfs.

Regards, Jan