Re: x.org

Please be sure to reply to the list and not to me personally. You will
miss out on the wisdom of many more knowledgeable people than me...

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 06:57:54PM -0600, Cliff McAtee wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 05:07:50PM -0600, Cliff McAtee wrote:
>>
>>> Hi my name is Cliff McAtee
>>> I am new to Debian. I installed from a disc. Went through the
>>> install.  every thing looked ok until trying to open.
>>> starting from GRUB I was informed x.org did not install correctly.
>>> All I  get is a repeating 'PHY reset until link up'.
>>> What am I supposed to do? Help

>> Can you provide any more information? Does it ever get to a login? Who
>> informed you that x.org did not install correctly?
>>
>> I suspect you've got a couple of things going wrong there. You might
>> want to boot into single-user mode (it should be an option in the GRUB
>> menu). From there you can do more trouble shooting.

> booting Debian several pages roll by ending at login:

okay, this is normal and good.

>    Then automatically switches to dialog box
> "Failed to start the X server( your graphical interface). It is likely
> that it is not set up correctly. Would you
> like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?" select
> yes

this is common and not necessarily a big deal. This particular issue
can be solved a number of ways, but we need to deal with the
persistent kernel messages on the screen first so that you can see
what you're doing.

>    Then automatically starts " eth0: no IPv6 routers present

this message is normal and no big deal. you can safely ignore it.

>                                          " eth1: PHY reset until link up
>                                          " eth1:PHY reset until link up
>                                           continues repeating about
> every three to four seconds

okay. it appears you have two network interfaces. I suggest you remove
one of them for the time being. There is something more going on here,
but if you are a true newbie, it could be a difficult problem to
tackle. Try taking out one, and then the other, network card until
this message goes away.

> When selecting yes the page switches to the server output page. The
> repeating message quickly covers the page in black background and white
> letters obscuring the diagnostic page.

what you are seeing is a kernel message that is of a high enough
priority that it spills onto your console screen. You can configure
those messages so that they don't interfere, but it's a little
difficult to do so with all those messages scrolling by. Hopefully
someone else will pipe up with a way to stop them easily.

> Then tried re-booting using the single user. Several pages roll by then
> the question
> ' Press enter for manual or control -d to continue.'
> Control -d starts the automatic eth0: no IPv6 sequence again.
> pressing Enter
> clifford:~#NET: Request protocal form 10
>             lo: Disabled Privacy Ext IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
>             eth0: no IPv6 router present
> Enter
> clifford:~# tried entering login info
> clifford:~#

you are already logged in. That is a shell prompt. Do you get the eth1
message at that point? If not, you can do some work there to both
shutdown those messages and diagnose your X problem.

Start with the messages. You need to edit the file
/etc/sysctl.conf. THere are probably a couple of editors available,
but nano is the easiest one to use out of the box. try this command
from the shell prompt

nano /etc/sysctl.conf

look for the line

#kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7

remove the # from the front of the line, save the file and
exit. Hopefully that will stop the messages.

issue this command

sysctl -p

which should reset those kernel log parameters for you. then do ctrl-d
to exit single user mode and continue on to a normal boot.

At that point you can begin trouble shooting the X problem. As a
starting point, try, as root,

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and work your way through configuration. If that fails to work for
you, you should provide us with a copy of

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

which captures all the output from the X server as it tries to start
up.

it's a lot to tackle for a new user, but stick with it, you'll get
it. This list will help you if you make a real effort.