Bug or normal behaviour with dpkg -S ?

Hi there,

A few minutes ago I was reading this list and discovered ctags. I wanted to
install it and I try a apt-file ctags | grep bin which didn't show anything.

Then I told myself maybe I already had it and tried a tab completion.

As I did have this tools I wanted to know which package installed it with
dpkg -S /usr/bin/ctags

Here is the output :

19:55 robotux@simplet ~% LANG=en_US.UTF-8 dpkg -S /usr/bin/ctags
dpkg: /usr/bin/ctags not found.
zsh: exit 1     LANG=en_US.UTF-8 dpkg -S /usr/bin/ctags

*but* :

19:55 robotux@simplet ~% LANG=en_US.UTF-8 dpkg -S usr/bin/ctags
exuberant-ctags: /usr/bin/ctags-exuberant

It's related to the fact /usr/bin/ctags is a double symbolic link as it is an
alternative. dpkg -S /usr/bin/firefox correctly answer iceweasel.

Is it an expected behaviour because /usr/bin/ctags could be installed by
several packages (but *has* been installed by only one package on a given
system) ?

I prefer to ask you here before filling an useless bug report.

Reguards

--
Thomas Preud'homme

Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian