Re: unable to load ipw2200 module

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:22:13 +0200, oneman wrote:
> On 18-jul-2008, at 6:22, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:59:45AM +0200, oneman wrote:
>>> I've got a Dell Latitude D810 and I tried to get the wireless to
>>> work. I
>>>  installed the ipw2200 driver, but get an error in dsmesg:
>>>
>>> dull:/home/oneman# dmesg | grep ipw
>>> ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.0mq
>>> ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
>>> ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
>>> ipw2200: ipw2200-bss.fw request_firmware failed: Reason -2
>>> ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: -2
>>> ipw2200: failed to register network device
>>> ipw2200: probe of 0000:03:03.0 failed with error -5
>>>

>>> Does this mean the card is broken or is there anything I can do to
>>> get it
>>> loaded?
>>
>> which version of debian? I believe you need the firmware which is
>> likely in non-free. enable the non-free repos in /etc/apt/sources.list
>> and then do an aptitude update and search for firmware.
>>

> I'm running Etch. The drivers were in non-free if I remember well.
>
> I did install the driver, and it looked to me as these entries in dmesg
> show the driver being loaded, and failing. But maybe I'm misreading it
> and
> is this just the device being detected? Is there a way to check wich
> modules
> are actually loaded? I looked at modprobe but that only seems tot list
> available drivers on disk with 'modprobe -l'.

You can find the firmware here:

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

You will have to accept a license agreement to download the firmware;
your driver needs the newest available version (v3).

After you have downloaded the compressed tar archive, extract the files
and put them into the /lib/firmware directory. Then modprobe the ipw2200
module again and check with dmesg if everything is OK now; watch out for
messages about problems with the RF kill switch. (If the driver cannot
find the firmware in /lib/firmware, try /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware
instead.)

          Florian   |