Re: DMA is turned off on my HDD

Pavlos Parissis wrote:
In the beginning of July I reinstall my Debian system (lenny). At once I
discover that loading cache in Aptitude (ncurses-UI mode) is very slow
and in general my system is very slow.

In several days I discovered that DMA is turned off on my HDD (fsck
sayed it while Debian booting). Please, help me turn on DMA mode.

[snip]
I had scanned my hdd with native WD scanner and hadn't detected any
error. Memory scan (memtest86+) also hadn't detected any error.
Moreover, Windows XP on another partition of this hdd working normally
and HDD Health program on it (for S.M.A.R.T viewing) don't predict
T.E.C. in the near future. Also after previous installation of Debian
lenny my hdd was working fast.

Use hdparm command to see if the DMS is enabled, if not enable it with the -d flag. If that action makes your system "faster" configure /etc/hdparm.conf to enable the DMA on boot.

Hope it helps,
Pavlos

I have tried using "hdparm" (under root) command but it don't help.

command "hdparm -d /dev/hda" outputs:
/dev/hda:
 using_dma     =  0 (off)

command "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" outputs:
/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma     =  0 (off)