Re: APT Strange Behaviour (Priorities)

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 09:09:31PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:21:59PM +0200, Marko Randjelovic <marel@sbb.rs> was heard to say:
> > main:~# apt-cache policy | grep -i backport
> >    1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/non-free Packages
> >      release o=Backports.org archive,a=etch-backports,l=Backports.org archive,c=non-free
> >      origin www.backports.org
> >    1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/contrib Packages
> >      release o=Backports.org archive,a=etch-backports,l=Backports.org archive,c=contrib
> >      origin www.backports.org
> >    1 http://www.backports.org etch-backports/main Packages
> >      release o=Backports.org archive,a=etch-backports,l=Backports.org archive,c=main
> >      origin www.backports.org
> >
> > It looks like apt have an idea backports.org has priority of 1 when there is no entry in preferences file. Why?
>
>   From http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/etch-backports/Release:
>
> Origin: Backports.org archive
> Label: Backports.org archive
> Suite: etch-backports
> Codename: etch-backports
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:37:27 UTC
> NotAutomatic: yes
>
>   pkgPolicy::InitDefaults(), in apt-pkg/policy.cc, sets NotAutomatic
> sources (such as backports and experimental) to priority 1 by default.
> You should be able to override that using pins.
>
>   Daniel

Daniel... problem is that this is not well documented in visible location.
(I mean in manual page.)

I filed bug report to apt package on apt_preferences.  This NotAutomatic
thing should be documented there.

By the way, I thought apt_preferences look for apt-pinning using Release file at
  http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/etch-backports/main/binary-i386/Release
Archive: etch-backports
Component: main
Origin: Backports.org archive
Label: Backports.org archive
NotAutomatic: yes
Architecture: i386

That is why a=etch-backports is used.... for apt-pinning under APT.

Is there any difference beween apt and aptitude?

Osamu