packet forwarding

Folk,

In Lenny, "man openvpn" states,
"First, ensure that IP forwarding is enabled on both peers.   On  Linux,
       enable routing:

              echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"

That is an interactive approach whereas in /etc/sysctl.conf I set
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
.

"man openvpn" continues,
 "... enable TUN packet forwarding through the firewall:

        iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -j ACCEPT"

>From this I infer that permission for TUN packet forwarding
is distinct from general packet forwarding.  Correct?
What would be the conventional way to turn this on
permanently in Lenny?

Thanks for any help,           ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/
http://carnot.yi.org/ = http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/