Re: screen resolution

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:03:46PM +0200, niclas wahlgren wrote:
> Can't get screen resolution up to 1600x1200.
>
> xrandr says:
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1280
> VGA1 disconnected
> DVI0 disconnected
> VGA2 connected 1280x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>   1280x800       60.0
>   1280x768       60.0*
>   1024x768       60.0
>   800x600        60.3
>   640x480        59.9
>   640x400       120.0
>   640x384       120.2
>   512x384       120.0
>
> Both screen and video card manages 1600x1200. (works with winxp)
> Whatever I try in screen configuration editor it says :
> Sorry, this configuration video card driver
> and monitor doesn't appear to work.

you should provide us with you're xorg.conf. I would suggest that it's
possible that to achieve the resolution you want requires a clock
that's just outside the configured parameters, resulting in Xorg
abandoning those resolutions.

As an exmaple, my wife's monitor has (making up numbers here just to
show the example) a max HorizSync of 64mhz, but the calculated
HorizSync for her preferred resolution ends up being 64.03mhz or
something silly like that. It's surely some kind of rounding error or
some such. A tweak to the xorg.conf allowing 64.5mhz solves the
problem.

your /var/log/Xorg.0.log should provide detailed information on the
status of all the attempted resolutions.